Does a Bedroom Need a Closet? The 2018 Florida Statutes Definition of a Bedroom
In Florida, in addition to your bedroom serving as a place to sleep, it must also have a closet. According to the 2018 Florida Statutes, 381.0065, it must also meet these five (5) requirements:
- For site-built dwellings, has a minimum of 70 square feet of conditioned space;
- For manufactured homes, is constructed according to the standards of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development and has a minimum of 50 square feet of floor area;
- Is located along an exterior wall;
- Has a closet and a door or an entrance where a door could be reasonably installed; and
- Has an emergency means of escape and rescue opening to the outside in accordance with the Florida Building Code.